When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Robinson Service Experts , we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets strewn about during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Robinson Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Waukegan, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Waukegan or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 847-306-8730 or schedule an appointment with Robinson Service Experts through our online scheduler.