The Value of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature dips and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more and more, you should also reach for your phone to schedule annual furnace maintenance. Ensuring your furnace operates at peak efficiency this winter enhances your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s more about what this crucial annual task entails and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Done During Routine Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance visit is a reliable way to get your heating system in good shape. Although the particular tasks depend on the brand and age of your system, you can usually expect your technician to complete the following:
- Inspect and clean the burner: Over the years, dirt and debris can obstruct the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it brings back ideal heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Ensuring these valves are completely open and working correctly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Look over the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can lead to carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s important to ensure no cracks are present.
- Assess and tighten electrical elements: Loose connections can make your HVAC unit hazardous and inefficient. Fortunately, tightening them is a fast and straightforward job.
- Clean the blower: A grimy blower affects your furnace’s ability to move warm air around your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan ensures the best airflow.
- Change the air filter: Clean air filters enable proper airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirty air filter in your furnace. Installing a clean, new air filter also improves indoor air quality if you set up a filtration system.
Why You Should Schedule Annual Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace looks like it is running fine, is it still useful to set up a maintenance tune-up? Here are some of the ways furnace maintenance is beneficial:
- Reduce mid-season breakdowns: Few things are more discouraging than waking up on a chilly winter morning to discover your furnace has stopped working. Mid-season breakdowns are aggravating and can leave you scrambling to find someone to fix it. Annual furnace maintenance lowers the likelihood of unexpected problems because your technician inspects every part of your system, catching minor issues before they snowball into costly repairs.
- Reduced repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the sooner you catch a problem, the less expensive it is to correct. By investing in reasonably priced, planned maintenance visits, you can avoid expensive, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Maximize your furnace’s life expectancy: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives routine tune-ups will likely last longer than an unattended heating system. Annual maintenance helps prevent the expense of untimely furnace replacement by lengthening your system’s life span.
- Raise energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system works more efficiently. When all the components are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your residence cozy. This decreases your energy bills and lessens your environmental impact.
- Healthier indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air intensifies allergies and respiratory problems. The air filter in your furnace traps dust, pollen and other airborne particles to reduce these issues. During a maintenance visit, the technician will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air flows through your home.
- Increases safety: A furnace that needs repair is not only inefficient, it’s also potentially dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or defective gas valves can cause hazardous carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has has received a thorough examination during routine maintenance should give you a sense of comfort this winter.
What Time of Year Should You Schedule Your Maintenance Visit?
To enjoy the most benefits, it’s best to plan annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill sets in. This is a way to make sure any issues are resolved before you need to rely heavily on your heating system.
At-Home Furnace Maintenance Between Appointments
Though professional maintenance is important, you can complete several tasks yourself to keep your furnace running smoothly between visits:
- Replace the air filter every 30 to 90 days to maximize airflow.
- Keep all return and supply registers open and unblocked for system balance.
- Vacuum the exterior of the furnace with the brush attachment to make sure it stays clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance visit, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is an HVAC company you can rely on. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting solutions to all your furnace and air conditioning problems. We’re proud to deliver solutions to our community and strive to make a meaningful difference in your lifestyle and sense of comfort. We even provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee to put your mind at ease. To make sure your furnace is ready for cold weather, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Eight Frequent Heating Misconceptions Debunked
There are lots of myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace use. It’s time to get the facts out there. Here, the heating professionals at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing debunk the eight most common myths to keep your home comfortable... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not only about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Pick Out a Good HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable during every season, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility expenses and overall home efficiency. However, with so many... Continue reading